A couple of weeks ago at the Lenten soup supper we focused on ways of praying and mediating. Nathan asked if I would share how I do prayer journaling. The following is from my notes.
- My journal is small, 5” x 8-1/2”, and nice to look at.
- I begin by entering the date and the scripture I will be reading. Today I selected a verse from the Gospel reading on Sunday - John 4:15, “the woman at the well”.
so that I may never be thirsty
or have to keep coming here to draw water.’
- Prayerfully I read the scripture a few times. I write down the words or phrases that have energy for me:
Woman at well
Never thirst again
- In this example I could visualize myself as the woman at the well. I could hear Jesus tell me that with the water he will give me, I will never be thirsty again.
- Then I write in my journal:
What is that water for me here today?
How do I get it?
- I just keep writing and don’t edit. I listen and I am quiet.
- Jesus’ response often comes as a hunch. Sometimes I ask for help. Sometimes I write a letter as if Jesus is writing to me. Often it is my own stuff, but now and then there will be a pearl of wisdom. I will close with some of those pearls - - -
God’s love for you is your life source, your energy source.
Your love for God is your power source.